Thursday, December 17, 2009

Update on 101 in 1001

Here's a quarterly update on my 101 in 1001 list. To see the original post go here.

Start Date: August 13, 2009

End Date: May 10, 2012
Marriage & Family

1. Celebrate our anniversary (0/2)
2. Surprise my husband with a gift just because (Done 9-4-09)
3. Get married. (Done 9-5-09)
4. Officially change my name to doublelettered. (Done in Oct 2009)
5. Create a will
6. Host my family at our house (0/2 (at least, may be updated later))
7. Host Rick’s family at our house (1/2 (same as my family, may be updated later))- Christmas 2009
8. Go to my family reunion (0/3)
9. Create living wills


Zen of life

10. Finish my list of First Ladies biographies I started (2/44)
11. Finish re-reading the Presidential biographies I started (2/44)
12. Complete some form of exercise at least 3 times per week (16/146)
13. Read at least two books per month (4/66)
14. Get my advanced open-water SCUBA certification.
15. Get re-certified in CPR
16. Go to church every Sunday for at least a month- we may have finally found a church to go to regularly! (Dec. 2009)
17. Get my rescue diver certification
18. Indulge in a few manicures (0/5)
19. Move to the new place (Done in Oct 2009)
20. Remember to take my vitamin everyday for a month- Viactiv chews are actually good. (Done in Nov. 2009)
21. Clean and go through all items in storage before moving (Didn't get done.....)
22. Teach myself Russian and Arabic
23. Get back into reading though my German materials, and complete my books I still need to read to re-familiarize myself with my college foreign language
24. Go to a cathedral for Midnight mass.


Unsere Hause

25. Unpack my stuff in our home. (Done by Oct. 2009)
26. Unpack and organize wedding gifts in our home. (Also done by Oct. 2009)
27. Set up a recycling area that will be taken to the recycler weekly (there's one on the first floor of our building) (Done by Oct 2009- trashcans not being used come in handy at times)
28. Save up for new living room furniture
29. Go house-hunting
30. Find a solution to our floor-ceiling windows in the living room (the apt. comes with vertical blinds)


All Work, No Play

31. Buy decorations for classroom
32. Buy supplies for classroom
33. Set up my classroom
34. Graduate with my Masters in Education degree (June 2011 hopefully)
35. Begin work on Anthropology Masters degree
36. Start on my thesis for my MAT
37. Research area programs for Anthropology departments (Nov 2009)


"Not traveling is like reading only one page of a book." - Aristotle

38. Travel to at least 12 different cities for weekend getaways/vacations (1/12)
39. Travel to Canada. I've been across the pond to Italy, I've been on a Caribbean cruise, and I've been south to Mexico but I haven't visited our Northern neighbor.
40. Get to New York City during the Christmas season!
41. Start a “Newlywed Map”
42. Go camping (0/3)
43. Be in D.C. for July 4th.
44. Continue my list of visiting every President's childhood home/ museum - so far I've had it easy, LBJ's ranch is down the highway from our wedding location and George Bush Sr. is in the town I where I went to college. (2/44)
45. Work on completing my U.S. travel map (20/50)


I am a foodie through and through

46. Try at least four new recipes a month (6/132)
47. Sit down and plan a weekly menu and shop for food each Sunday.
48. Go out to breakfast (4/16)- Frank & Nic's, Teavolve,
49. For one week, make meals that can only be made with ingredients already in our cupboards (excluding perishables—vegetables and dairy)
50. Work through all the recipes in at least two of our cookbooks

Friends Are Forever

51. Write my friends in Germany and the Netherlands at least 4 times a year (2/24)
52. Send baby and wedding gifts to our friends (2/6 so far. . .)
53. Talk to my best friends every two weeks (8/73)
54. Get together with our friends from college at least twice a year (1/6)
55. E-mail friends/ send a message on FB at least once per month (5/33)
56. Celebrate Thanksgiving with a good friend of ours. (Nove 2009, good luck on the remaining finals, Rosary!!)
57. Host a friend in our new home. (My friend Anja and her boyfriend are coming to visit from Germany in a week and one half!!)
58. Celebrate my friend's graduation from law school!
59. Send birthday cards to all friends/ immediate family in 2010

Pinching Pennies

60. Change banks. (Done in Sept. 2009)
61. Deposit some EXTRA money into savings every month (1/33)
62. Start a retirement account for myself.
63. Finish paying off college credit debt. (1/3)
64. Work on paying back student loans (0/3)

Chump Change

65. Buy a new car for one of us.
66. Buy a new laptop
67. LASIK eye surgery is sounding better and better
68. Buy a Nintendo Wii
69. Buy Wii Fit and/or Wii Active (There's funny story behind this, but I bought a Wii Fit with a wedding giftcard we received when it was on sale in Sept. 2009)


Pay It Forward

70. Get over my fear of needles and donate blood at least once. (I had a horrific experience as a five year old in pre-op)
71. Clean out closet twice a year and donate old clothes to charity (1/6)
72. Continue my habit of donating at least a dollar for every Salvation Army Bell Ringer I come across. (0/3 holiday seasons)
73. Donate $ to charity (0/10)
74. Mail packages to soldiers through Operation Baking Gals (0/10)
75. Donate my wedding dress and veil to Brides Against Breast Cancer in memory of my paternal grandmother.

Just for Fun

76. Go on a wine cruise
77. Go on a roadtrip up and down the East Coast- I've only been to the Gulf Coast of Florida and to the Atlanta region of Georgia.
78. Go skiing again.
79. Go to each part of the Smithsonian
80. Visit all the sites in the Maryland/Pennsylvania/ Virginia area that are listed in 1001 Places to Visit Before You Die- USA and Canada, as well as the World edition.
81. Go to a Gamma Phi Beta Convention (next up Orlando, FL 2010)!
82. Host a holiday cookie swap
83. Go to the National Aquarium
84. Go to the National Zoo.
85. Go on wine tours on all the wine trails of Virginia (0/13)


I like to be busy with random activities (aka hobbies)

86. Blog at least 20 times per month (0/33) (yea...still hasn't been done yet, although I got close one month, maybe that will be a New Year's resolution)
87. Redesign my blog. (Done in Oct. 2009)
88. Reupholster our dining chairs.
89. Finish my cross-stitch projects.
90. Have my grandmother's grandfather's, (did you follow that?) i.e. my great-great grandfather, violin fixed and ready to be played again.
91. Play the violin again- I stopped when I was in junior high.
92. Enroll in a cake-decorating class


Thanks for the Memories

93. After the wedding, get our proofs from our photographer. (Done in October 2009)
94. Design the wedding album and gift books (Done by our photographer and mailed in Dec. 2009)
95. Make my Christmas memories photo album that I came up with a few years ago to start when I got married.
96. Participate in Project 365


Queen of Procrastination

97. Actually finish the quilt I started for a friend a year ago.
98. Get my regular scrapbook up to date.
99. Work on my travel scrapbook and update it.


101 in 1001

100. Donate $5 to a charity for every item on this list that I do not complete
101. Start a new 101 Things in 1001 Days list once this one is completed

No comments:

Post a Comment