Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day! I would like to thank all the members of the Armed Forces and their families for their service and sacrifice to our country. Without them, we would not be able to enjoy all the freedom we have in this country.


-Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Arlington National Cemetary

"For 141 years, Americans have paused on the last Monday of May to remember and honor those brave Americans who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to country. This tradition began on May 5, 1868 when the Grand Army of the Republic established Memorial Day as the national day to decorate the graves of the Civil War soldiers with flowers. General and Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant presided over the first observance of Memorial Day at Arlington National Cemetery where over 20,000 Union dead and several hundred Confederate dead had been laid to rest."
- Congressman Chet Edwards

In other news, it's a beautiful day today!! I worked this morning, which was really busy with all the customers who were OFF work today. Then I spent a glorious 1.45 hours at the pool reading my book, Mrs. Lincoln: A Life by Catherine Clinton. It's a really interesting look into the life of a woman who has been pretty much blasted by the press for so many years.



This book is part of a project I have for myself that started last year when I read the biography of Martha Washington. That was another fascinating look into an amazing woman's life, as well as into the background of her husband's life and presidency.



Anyway, my project is to read every single biography of the First Ladies that I can get my hands on. I did it once when I was in elementary school, but now I want to go back and read the adult versions. I am also pretty picky about my choices to read, so it's been interesting going to the libraries to find what I'm looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment