Monday, November 9, 2009

Berlin Wall

So this will obviously give away that I'm 25, but I was 5 years old when the Berlin Wall came down. I don't wholly remember the event, besides watching television (most likely the NBC Evening News with Tom Brokaw) with my dad. However, in college I decided to take German as my foreign language and that gave me more opportunity to delve into the history. Another class, the History of Eastern Europe, also gave me that study opportunity. One of my German professors, Frau Laane was born in Estonia, and moved to East Germany when she reached Gymnasium (High School). My last semester in German, an assignment was for us to create a video that used parts of a video that we had seen that year in the class. Some of my classmates chose Goodbye, Lenin.

There's a statue/ fountain of mustangs in Irving (or somewhere in the Greater DFW area) that are running through the fountain. On the Texas A&M campus, there is a statue behind the George Bush Presidential Library that borrows from that design, however those horses are running over a real piece of the Berlin Wall, as he was President when the wall came down.

Yay for 20 years of celebrating the Wall coming down, and the people free to chosse their government for themselves.

For more reading: go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment