Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bonfire

Being a third-generation Aggie, I've grown up with a lot of the Aggie Spirit in my house, and most definitely when I chose to go there and graduate from there as well. I met my husband there! I met some of the best friends I have ever known there, both from my sorority and non-greek. I have several pictures from when I was a child where I'm standing in front of the Aggie Bonfire being built, one in which I'm standing on an actual log that is slated to be put into the stack.



So in 1999, when I woke up on the morning of November 18th, the picture on the front page my hometown newspaper rocked me to the core. They chose to show a highly-circulated photo( I personally thought totally inappropriate photo) of what would eventually become the 12th student to die from the collapse, except at the time the photographer snapped the picture, he was still tangled in the logs.



During my time in cllege I joined an organization that worked with the TAMU administration (including the now Sec. Def. Gates) to release the moratorium on Bonfire merchandise, and also to steadily work on keeping the memory of the 12 alive and working to educate the rest of the incoming Aggie community. During that time, the videos I've included in this post were released on YouTube, and as such I've seen them many times. The first is a memorial to the 12 who died, as well as all those injured in the collapse. The other is a video of what I was able to watch during the annual rivalry football game between TAMU and Texas. The Texas band performed a tribute to the fallen Aggies during their halftime performance.

Nov. 18th will always be a day for remembrance and to never forget.

"We Remember Them."

No comments:

Post a Comment