Thursday, May 9, 2019

Kuwait Information

             A little bit of background for you: I taught in elementary schools for 6 years while we lived stateside. 1 year was completed in the greater DC area (not including the year I spent completing student teaching for my Master's Degree), and the other 5 years were completed at the same elementary school in TX. I love being a teacher (BTW, Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!) , but for several reasons have decided to take a short break from the classroom while we are here in Kuwait.

            When I mentioned to my then 4th graders (this school year they are 5th graders) where I was moving, I discovered several of them had no idea what part of the world or where this small country was located. For your own research, you can read more here, here, and here.

            For those of you, like myself, who remember the Gulf War in 1991, here's an article about the local response to the passing of former President George H.W. Bush in December. The Kuwait Towers were lit up with his picture for a couple days when the news reached us and there was quite a showing of support for him, based on the the U.S. led forces that drove back the Iraqis out of Kuwait.

Source: The National, Abu Dhabi (UAE) newspaper

           Kuwait celebrates their National Day on February 25th (since 1961), and then Liberation Day on February 26th (since 1991) each year. Here's a video I found of someone driving on Gulf Road during the 2018 celebrations. If you're wondering about certain things you see in the video, yes that is a Pizza Hut, and the people gathered on the side of Gulf Road celebrate by shooting off water guns and water balloons at passing cars. 😂


(Source: DNA Kuwait via YouTube)


             So, back to when I was talking with my students about where we were moving. I went a little off the lesson plans one day and showed them a few maps, and we talked about a few facts that I knew. I now wish I had found this video to share with them. Enjoy!


Source: Geography Now! Kuwait

No comments:

Post a Comment