Thursday, May 9, 2019

Ramadan 2019

Ramadan Mubarak!

Source: Gulf News via Pixabay
          Ramadan began this year before dawn on Monday, 6 May. I've known about Ramadan since reading the Princess Sultana series of books starting back in the mid-1990s. I studied about it and other religious holy months for an undergraduate class at Texas A&M. I've had students over the years who observed it and some who fasted during the month. It is considered to be the holiest month of the Islamic calendar, and typically includes fasting from food and water during daylight hours, prayer, and spending times with family and friends. The 29 or 30 days of Ramadan ends with Eid al-Fitr (this year that will be around 4 June).

            This is the first time I've lived in a Muslim country that observes Ramadan and asks for visitors and expats to observe certain expectations as well during the month. You might have noticed I like pictures and videos from around the interwebs to help explain things I mention on this little blog. For instance, here's a video from the UAE about a few Do's and Don'ts there:

Source: Gulf News

          I say tips in the UAE, because the UAE has different expectations and rules than Kuwait. For instance, pork products and drinking are allowed in certain parts of the UAE. 
          Pork products and drinking are illegal in Kuwait. Here's an article about Kuwait expectations for visitors and expats during Ramadan. 
           With that said, I will be participating in a Ramadan Iftar (breaking of the fast after sunset) next week that I'm looking forward to attending. Look for that post late next week. 

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment